Click on the image to download a PDF of the Mana Whanau handout.
Lifewise In-Home Intensive Parenting Support Programme (LIIPS)
Mana Whānau is a six-month programme run by Lifewise to support families/whānau to stay together.
We work in partnership with parents who are under stress, offering practical support. One whānau worker will provide support to you in your home and community. There may be one or two other workers helping out as needed.
“She doesn’t feel like a social worker, she feels like my aunty.”
The Mana Whanau programme is…
- Voluntary – referrals to the programme are made by Oranga Tamariki, but only with the agreement of the family.
- Led by you – we support you to work on your family goals and priorities.
- Flexible – to meet your family’s needs and routines.
- Focused – helping you reduce stresses in your life first so you can then focus on building the skills you need.
- Intensive – we will be there at the times of the day when you need us most. That can be up to 9 hours a day initially, reducing over time to a few hours per week near the end of the six month period.
“I wanted to be their Mum but I needed help to be a better Mum. Everything I am doing is for them, to make their lives better. I want my kids to have better lives.”
What can Lifewise offer?
- Practical help to reduce, manage or remove the things that are causing the big stresses in your life.
- Getting household routines going that work for your family.
- Advocacy, support and liaison with other agencies, schools etc.
- Support with building parenting skills and confidence.
- Helping you to build great networks in the community.
- Keeping the focus on your goals.
“I felt overwhelmed. It was really intense. But it’s like they are walking beside me saying ‘you can do this’.”
Who can come onto the programme?
- Families/whānau who are at risk of having their children removed from their care by Oranga Tamariki.
- Families/ whānau who need support to have their children return home from foster care.
Referrals to the programme can only be made through Oranga Tamariki.