On Thursday 12th July, Lifewise Merge Café, with the support of AUT, is holding Merge & Dine, an event to raise funds to ensure Merge Café is more sustainable and can continue its work in supporting the local community as well as people experiencing homelessness.
Merge & Dine is a chance for everyone to come together, enjoy great food and entertainment, and pay it forward. Since 2010, Merge Café on Karangahape Road has welcomed and supported people from the community to come together for a meal. Every purchase of a meal or coffee is paid forward with the goal to help end homelessness.
For the Merge & Dine event, the team from Merge Café will be joined by AUT Hospitality Services to host an evening of culinary delights and entertainment in the Atrium at AUT’s City Campus.
“We know that once people are housed, they need a way to connect with the community and contribute their talents. Merge Café is a cornerstone to providing this support,” says Lifewise CE, Moira Lawler.
“Lifewise’s Merge & Dine event will acknowledge the innovative work of Merge Café and its community. Merge Café also plays a significant role in the delivery of Housing First Auckland City Centre services. It’s all part of our enduring goal to make homelessness rare, brief and non-recurring.”
“The first step towards bringing down any barriers is to offer a space where anyone and everyone are welcome, regardless of their background or their social and economic status. At Merge Café, our goal is to merge,” says Merge Café manager, Manu Kahlon.
To RSVP and donate: https://www.everydayhero.co.nz/event/mergeanddine2018
- Lifewise Merge Café is on 453 Karangahape Road, open weekdays from 7am to 2pm
- Merge Café serves over 30,000 nutritious, low-cost meals on average per year
- 76% of these meals are for people on low incomes or experiencing homelessness
- Lifewise, in partnership with Auckland City Mission, is responsible for the Housing First Auckland City Centre programme
- The Lifewise Big Sleepout will take place in 2019